At 4:29 a.m. on July 17, 2021 the Sidney Department of Fire and Emergency Services were dispatched to a report of a structure fire at 750 Chestnut Avenue. Upon arrival, a small fire on the front porch was discovered. All occupants of the residence had safely evacuated and fire crews initiated a fire attack to extinguish the fire. The occupants had controlled the fire with fire extinguishers prior the arrival of fire personnel.
The fire caused minimal damage to the structure and was contained to the front porch and a small portion of the basement. No occupants or fire personnel were injured during the event. The damage to the property, which is owned by Dan and Elizabeth Christian, is estimated at $10,000 to the structure and $5,000 to the contents. The family was not displaced by the fire incident. The Sidney Department of Fire and Emergency Services; Fire Investigation Unit has ruled the fire as accidental with improperly discarded smoking materials as the likely ignition source.