At 3:20 a.m. on October 31, 2021; the Sidney Department of Fire and Emergency Services was dispatched to a report of a structure fire at 1225 Garfield Avenue. Upon arrival, smoke was observed coming from the attic. All occupants of the residence had safely evacuated and advised fire crews that the fire was believed to be extinguished in the kitchen by the residents. Fire crews initiated an investigation to confirm extinguishment. The occupants had attempted to control the fire prior to calling 911.
The fire caused moderate damage to the structure and was contained to 1225 Garfield Avenue. No fire personnel were injured during the event. One occupant was transported by EMS to Wilson Health Emergency Room. All off-duty Sidney personnel were recalled, Lockington and Anna Fire Departments and Anna EMS responded for mutual aid. AES and CenterPoint Energy were brought to the scene to secure the utilities. The property is owned by Ronald and Cheri Neth.
The damage to the structure is estimated at $15,000 and $10,000 to the contents. Occupants were displaced by the fire incident and are being assisted by family. The Sidney Department of Fire and Emergency Services; Fire Investigation Unit has ruled the fire as accidental in nature.