At 9:40 a.m. on January 15, 2022, the Sidney Department of Fire and Emergency Services was dispatched to a report of a structure fire at 636 Wilson Avenue. Upon arrival, there was smoke showing from roof area. The occupants were outside advising all occupants were out of the house except one cat. Engine #3 crew initiated interior fire attack on the second floor and containing the fire in attic area above second floor bedroom with no other extension inside. Quint #2 crew pulled a back-up line and conducted search of division 1. The fire crews extinguished the fire and found the cat unharmed and it was returned to the occupants. A box alarm was established for all off duty personnel to respond along with mutual aid fire companies for assistance. Due to the cold temperatures, Salvation Army provided coffee and snacks for first responders on scene.
The fire caused damage to the second floor bedroom, attic area and was contained to room of origin. No fire personnel were injured during the event. The damage to the property, which is owned by Kevin Caudill and Sheryl Gottschalk, is estimated at $15,000 to the structure and $15,000 to the contents. The occupants were displaced by the fire incident. Red Cross was contacted to assist the occupants.
AES (formerly DP&L), Center Point Energy (formerly Vectren) was on scene to control the utilities.
The Sidney Department of Fire and Emergency Services Fire Investigation Unit has ruled the fire as accidental and electrical in nature.